Title

1970 Marshall Plane Crash: We Remember

What are your memories of Nov. 14, 1970? Share them here.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

"The lessons of healing through grief are vital to surviving a tragedy like this"

My dad, Brian O'Connor, died in the plane crash when I was 4.

We were in the fountain scene, along with many other family members, and were invited to the premier.

In the afternoon, before the evening gala "Green carpet" event, the movie was shown for just the family members and the '71 team. It ripped my guts out, but it was so good to remember, to know what happened, who the people were that surrounded the story that I lived.

There was a time of breathless silence when the movie ended with the fountain scene, then a standing ovation for McGee, the director.

It took me 4 years to take the shrink wrap off the DVD copy, but we watched it last Nov. 14 with my 14- and 11-year-old children. It is PG and is not overly graphic. It's emotional, but not sickening.

The lessons of healing through grief are vital to surviving a tragedy like this. Please watch it, and remember the lives of those it was created to honor.

-Ruth Ann O'Connor Lewis

No comments: