Title

1970 Marshall Plane Crash: We Remember

What are your memories of Nov. 14, 1970? Share them here.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

In memory of Joe Hood and Robert VanHorn

It was one of those times committed to memory just as the day President Kennedy was shot or 9/11.

I was in my first year at Marshall and at home that Saturday evening. My mother had a police band radio as her constant companion. We heard the radio broadcast asking for "every available ambulance to go to the airport because of a plane crash." It was not long before the news came over that it was the Marshall football team.

At school I just happened to be in a Phys Ed class with Joe Hood and Robert VanHorn who were two of the largest class clowns you would ever want to know. I remember them constantly joking with each other and everyone else in the class. Whenever you would see them either in uniform or in a team picture they looked intimidating and menacing but I knew them as fun loving classmates who always made me laugh.

Bob Shain

No comments: