Title

1970 Marshall Plane Crash: We Remember

What are your memories of Nov. 14, 1970? Share them here.

Monday, January 01, 2007

'A good glimpse into grief'

I have lived in Sacramento, CA on and off for over 40 years, but because of my aunt and uncle, who had a farm on Spring Valley Drive, I considered Huntington to be my 2nd home.

I used to go back there summers for years. Later as a student at UVA I made many a long (8 hours on Rt 60) weekend trip to be with my aunt,uncle & cousin.

I remember my uncle taking me to a Marshall game just weeks before the accident - I think they were playing Kent State but cannot find a 1970 playing schedule.

I thought how eerie and empty to realize that virtually everyone I saw on that field from Marshall that day was now gone.

I saw the movie yesterday and felt it captured the time rather accurately - although I called my cousin and said that in all the years I'd been to Huntington I never heard of a "Boones" restaurant and she said it was really Wiggins.

I don't think any director could really capture the full sense of loss and grief Huntington had but the movie gave a good glimpse into that grief.

-Bill Brandt

No comments: